[OT] USB card was Cannot boot OS X anymore

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 11 21:57:01 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 7:38 PM, Ben Ricker wrote:

> On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 09:47 AM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:
>
>> What kind of card is it?
>
> It's a Startech PCI220USB. Works in a Winblows box running Fedora at
> work. I think the issue is that I have one of the infamous "Rev A" ROM
> chips that came out in the beige G3s.

Nope, the issue is that MacOS X doesn't support your specific card.

USB 1.x controllers came in two basic flavors, OHCI and UHCI.  UHCI was
an early standard developed by Intel, OHCI was a later one developed by
industry which is supposedly better, but since Intel has a lot of NIH
(Not Invented Here) they kept using UHCI, and many silicon vendors
therefore also produced UHCI controllers.  Apple used OHCI exclusively,
so no version of MacOS (or MacOS X) has drivers for UHCI USB.

USB 2.0 controllers are all EHCI, but the way that USB 2.0 deals with
1.x devices is to require the EHCI controller to contain a complete
OHCI or UHCI controller core to deal with USB 1.x mode.  As you might
guess, Apple only uses EHCI/OHCI USB 2.0 controllers, never EHCI/UHCI.

 From this picture:

http://www.startech.com/ststore/showlarge.cfm?
ProductID=PCI220USB&topbar=topbario.htm

your card appears to have the Via USB 2.0 chip.  Unfortunately, Via
chose to implement EHCI/UHCI.  You need an EHCI/OHCI USB 2.0
controller.