YDL and firewire drive

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 15 08:27:03 2003

I figured out my problems with making this drive bootable.  It was a
chair <--> keyboard bug.  I wasn't watching what I was doing when I
created the boot partition and I set the label to what should have been
the type and didn't change the type.

Once I made that change (changed the partition type of the boot
partition), all is well on the PowerMac.  However, I still cannot boot
my iBook from it.  I'll start a new thread on that one....

On Dec 12, 2003, at 3:39 PM, Michael George wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 04:00:45PM -0400, Gavin Hemphill wrote:
>> I've seen this when people try to follow that howto without
>> understanding just what they're up to.  The problem is that on various
>> machines the OF aliases that Bill talks about (fw, node, etc.) aren't
>> correct.  for example my OF fw alias points to the wrong address.
>> This
>> means that I'm using something like:
>>
>> /pci@f4000000/firewire@e/node/sbp-2/disk@0:12,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
>>
>> as my path to the kernel.  I also note you don't have the leading / on
>> your path.  You need to boot into OF and get the device tree listing -
>> noting if things like fw point to the correct things.  If you can't
>> figure it out, send me some mail with things like your of tree etc and
>> I'll try to give you a hand.
>>
>> There are also some other things in the howto that I have found to be
>> unnecessary for example I'm using labels without mucking around with
>> devfs.
>
> You are exactly right.  I figured out the space thing from the
> previous mail
> and more and more has been clicking since then.  As I begin to
> understand,
> progress accelerates!  I Love Linux!
>
> I'm going at it pretty good now, so I think I'll continue.  I
> appreciate your
> offer for 1:1 help, and I may take you up on it, but I need to work
> more on it
> myself first.  We don't learn as much with someone holding our hands :)
> However, it is quite useful to have the sighted at least turn us blind
> away
> from the wall...
>
>> Michael George wrote:
>>> I've followed the directions on Richard McLain's 10/03/2003 Boot
>>> from a
>>> FireWire drive HOWTO on two separate drives and I keep getting the
>>> same
>>> error.
>>>
>>> After typing "> boot fw/node/sbp-2/disk@0:2, yaboot" (and partition
>>> 2 is
>>> the location of my bootloader partition), I get:

-Michael