YDL and firewire drive

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 12 13:39:02 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 04:00:45PM -0400, Gavin Hemphill wrote:
> I've seen this when people try to follow that howto without
> understanding just what they're up to.  The problem is that on various
> machines the OF aliases that Bill talks about (fw, node, etc.) aren't
> correct.  for example my OF fw alias points to the wrong address.  This
> means that I'm using something like:
>
> /pci@f4000000/firewire@e/node/sbp-2/disk@0:12,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
>
> as my path to the kernel.  I also note you don't have the leading / on
> your path.  You need to boot into OF and get the device tree listing -
> noting if things like fw point to the correct things.  If you can't
> figure it out, send me some mail with things like your of tree etc and
> I'll try to give you a hand.
>
> There are also some other things in the howto that I have found to be
> unnecessary for example I'm using labels without mucking around with devfs.

You are exactly right.  I figured out the space thing from the previous mail
and more and more has been clicking since then.  As I begin to understand,
progress accelerates!  I Love Linux!

I'm going at it pretty good now, so I think I'll continue.  I appreciate your
offer for 1:1 help, and I may take you up on it, but I need to work more on it
myself first.  We don't learn as much with someone holding our hands :)
However, it is quite useful to have the sighted at least turn us blind away
from the wall...

Thanks!