iBook won't boot from firewire disk

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 15 08:43:02 2003

In a previous thread I sought help on creating a bootable firewire
drive.  Using Bill Fink's and Richard McLain's HOWTOs and 1:1 advice
from Gavin Hemphill, I now have a firewire disk booting YDL 3.0.1.

Great Joy!

I created this drive with both SMP and UP kernels and initrds (though
the latter could probably have been shared) so that I can boot my iBook
(14", purchased May 2002) and our company XServe (1GHz model, purchased
June 2002) from it.

However, when I plug the drive into the iBook, power up the drive, and
power up the iBook with the opt key pressed, it will give me the
graphical boot screen, but the firewire disk is not on it like it is on
my PowerMac.

I would expect that if I didn't genericise the config files correctly,
it would have trouble booting, but since I cannot even get it to the
first-stage bootloader, I suspect something else is amiss.

Anyone out there have an external FW disk that boots on an iBook?
Anyone with a FW disk that boots on a PowerMac, but *not* an iBook?

Thanks!
-Michael