iBook won't boot from firewire disk

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 15 09:09:02 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 10:43 AM, Michael George wrote:
> In a previous thread I sought help on creating a bootable firewire
> drive.  Using Bill Fink's and Richard McLain's HOWTOs and 1:1 advice
> from Gavin Hemphill, I now have a firewire disk booting YDL 3.0.1.
>
> Great Joy!
>
> I created this drive with both SMP and UP kernels and initrds (though
> the latter could probably have been shared) so that I can boot my
> iBook (14", purchased May 2002) and our company XServe (1GHz model,
> purchased June 2002) from it.
>
> However, when I plug the drive into the iBook, power up the drive, and
> power up the iBook with the opt key pressed, it will give me the
> graphical boot screen, but the firewire disk is not on it like it is
> on my PowerMac.
>
> I would expect that if I didn't genericise the config files correctly,
> it would have trouble booting, but since I cannot even get it to the
> first-stage bootloader, I suspect something else is amiss.
>
> Anyone out there have an external FW disk that boots on an iBook?
> Anyone with a FW disk that boots on a PowerMac, but *not* an iBook?

I found a posting on this list from back in May 2001 and the poster
indicated that he had to reboot his system to get the firewire drive
recognized as a boot drive.  On a cold boot it wouldn't be recognized.

I did this  and it worked.  However, I'm currently suffering a huge
number of sbp2 resets followed by endless I/O errors.  That might be
drive issues or something...  I'll have to try another drive...

-Michael