Video/Modem Problems on iMac Slot-Loading: Please Help

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 15 15:44:02 2003

Hi there,

I am new to Linux, but not new to the OS X Terminal, but have come across some
problems with a Linux 3.0.1 installation (latest ISOs from internet, verified with 'install
mediacheck').

I am running a PowerPC G3 iMac Slot-Loading Blueberry (Basic CD-ROM model,
introduuced 1999). Techtool Deluxe certifies computer works fine, it has firmware
4.1.9f1 (as shown on OF Screen)

On the first boot up, the OS hangs on X start-up, after firstboot has run (the login
screen) on a black screen. On reboot this clears, but the problem resurfaces on logout
(restart again required).

I have tried using the default probed settings (iMac Display and 8MB ATI Rage 128
Graphics) and things like iMac (CRT) and 8MB ATI Rage 128 (generic), none of which
seem to work to solve the problem.

Also the modem does not function, despite working fine under OS 9. It is not detected
by kduzu or whatever its called on firstboot and subsequently, and, again, subsequent
probing with Network on System Settings reveals nothing. What settings should I try?

I am rather disappointed by these problems, as I thought this computer ould be well
supported, and hope someone out there can help.

If you have any more questions I am more than happy to reply as best I can.

Also these problems have surfaced on two consecutive installs, I doubt that they are
one-offs.

Yours

doc

All email and attachments sent from http://www.Doctors.net.uk have been
scanned by the MessageLabs SkyScan antivirus system