Beige G3 can't find root after install

thk yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 22 16:14:01 2003

Dear Duane

On Dienstag, Dezember 23, 2003, at 12:01  Uhr, Duane Foster wrote:

> Since there was a spare IDE drive laying around,  I started down this
> path.  Installed the IDE drive, reinstalled YDL3.01 and ended up with
> a kernel panic when I tried to boot.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hdc5" or 00:00
>
> I noticed that you stated that the IDE internal master bus should be
> used.  I installed IDE hard drive on ATA bus 1, while my CD drive is
> on ATA bus 0.  Should I swap them?

If you have only one IDE drive in your mac (e.g. the CD-ROM drive) then
you should connect it to the connector next to you if you look from the
front onto the board.

If you have a hard drive AND a CD-ROM drive (both IDE) connected you
will have to place the hard drive's cable into the front plug and the
CD-ROM in the second.

You should check this.  (Hope I did not mix this. If so, turn it
around. I cannot look for it because my Mac is creating an MPEG-1 movie
in the background by now.)

BOTH DRIVES have to be configured as MASTER because they are using
different busses.

If this does not help, your last chance is to use a SCSI drive
connected to the external SCSI bus or to the internal connector. This
is using the MESH controller and IMHO MESH support is still in the
kernels.

> duane

Please gimme feedback. I am very interested in this issue.

Btw. I upgraded my G3 once to a G4 and had to change jumper settings on
the mainboard therefore. - Before that I had run an overclocked G3 300
processor and had changed jumpers too. So I have a lot of experience
with the beige G3 and want to help to find out what causes your
problems.

Thomas