Starting up wireless networking.

Ryan Boder yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 9 22:16:00 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:06:16PM -0500, Neben Kabon wrote:
> I now have two network configurations, ifcfg-eth0 (hardwired ethernet)
> and ifcfg-eth1 (for Linksys wireless) following the example given.  When
> I try "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start" the network stalls on eth0 and I
> must have my ethernet cable attached to continue.  Do I need to
> temporarily hide or disable the ifcfg-eth0 file?

Try setting the ONBOOT parameter to no in ifcfg-eth0 as in the following
example...

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=no

Then starting up the network interfaces manually. The way I do it is with

/sbin/ifup eth1
or
/sbin/ifup eth0

By doing them manually you can avoid waiting for DHCP when there is no
physical connection.
--

Ryan Boder
http://bitwiser.org/icanoop