Popping Kernels

Lee Parry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 12 09:59:03 2003

> Did anybody else experience similar problems?  I am running Linux
> 2.4.20-ben5 and XFree86 4.2.0-6.30e.  I suspect the problems have

Again let me prefix this with "I am new"....

I see a lot of people running kernels that seem to originate from Mr Ben H.
Can I ask what the reasons for running these kernels are? Rather than the
default kernels provided? Is it simply a case of these kernels supporting
hardware that is unsupported by the default one? Or do they provide
performance or stability improvements?

I'm using the default kernel as installed by the YDL 2.3 ISO install.
Everything seems to work (bar the old Twin Turbo), so would there be any
point in me changing kernels? (apart from my SMP issues with MOL)

My Machine:

Dual G4 500mhz Tower
512mb RAM
120gb Master HDD (OS X)
40gb Slave HDD (YDL 2.3) - I know that is not recommended, but it worked
well for me, why does it recommend not placing YDL on a slave drive?
ATI Rage 128
IMS TT128
Apple Studio Display 17" CRT
Epson CX3200 MFD - Prints fine, but can't seem to get it recognised by SANE

Thanks,

Lee