pppoe

r.sesser yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 19 19:28:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 17:19, Jeffrey Hergan wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 05:51 PM, r.sesser wrote:
>

> > On Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003, at 14:07 US/Pacific, Jeffrey Hergan wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the reply!
> >> I have been reading that fine document for three days--in fact, I
> >> have most it memorized.
> >> I built rp-pppoe from the source (v 3.5) and edited the
> >> /etc/pppoe.conf.  Then I did the ol' adsl-start and it said I was
> >> connected.  But I can't ping an ip address or a domain name and I
> >> can't connect to any sites.
> >
> > This sounds like a DNS issue. Check those to make sure they are
> > correct in the pppoe settings. If they are correct, see if you can
> > ping those IPs. If you can't then you are not connected (or they just
> > aren't responding).
>
> I got the network set up, to a point.
> The problerm was that eth0 was and still is getting started at boot.  I
> have to mark it 'down' and then adsl-start works and I can get through
> to the world.  But...

I think this is all done via /etc/init.d/network ...try disabling this
startup script and reboot.

> >> I can say that I edited all sorts of other things to set my hostname
> >> and so I probably borked something.  Easier to install from scratch
> >> than try to retrace my wandering steps.
> >>
> >> Two questions:  how do I set the hostname from the command line (and
> >> make it stick so that I don't have to reset it at every boot)?
> >
> > man hostname
> >
> > and look at your /etc/hosts file...
> > 127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.localdomain
> > 192.168.1.100	somename somname.somehost.tld
>
> right.  But this weird.  trying to set the hostname works, but when I
> reboot it's lost.
> See, it's that second line:  192.168 etc... that I wonder about.
> I know that I need to enter my 'praeclara.com' name there.  But what IP
> addy do I enter?

Interesting indeed. I have a domain pointing to my machine as well...but
then I am behind a Linksys router so that takes care of my end. I would
imagine that you could just use any ol 192.168 / 10.0 ip addy in the
/etc/hosts file ...a la:
192.168.1.100	poobox poobox.praeclara.com

> My addy is assigned dynamically via pppoe.  But I have custom dyndns,
> which always points my domain name to my current, real ip addy.

zoneedit.com?

> And I think this is causing my sendmail probs.  I can send mail, but I
> can't receive it.  I think it may be because the default network device
> is eth0 and maybe it should be ppp0 (or something else).  And I don't
> have a clue about how to change that.  All this stuff is done
> automagically behind the scenes, it seems, and I don't know what to
> even try...
>
> When I check my /var/log/messages and maillog, I see absolutely nothing
> irregular.  Nothing.  Just no sign of incoming messages.
>
> And like I said, I think that's because this hostname and default
> network device issue.
>
> Any ideas how to proceed?  I'm sooo close.  All i'll have to do after
> sendmail is set up ipmasquerading, imapd and I'll be golden!

Once you get the PPPoE issue ironed out, then start on the sendmail
issue. You might have to add some lines in your
/etc/mail/local-host-names file ...I just checked, and I'm not getting
mail on my machine either...I think I'll get rid of sendmail and install
Postfix...much easier to deal with I think :) I'd recommend the same.

Let us know how this goes
r.