pppoe

JHSJ yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 19 22:29:01 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 08:21, r.sesser wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 17:19, Jeffrey Hergan wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 05:51 PM, r.sesser wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003, at 14:07 US/Pacific, Jeffrey Hergan wro=
te:

> > > This sounds like a DNS issue. Check those to make sure they are
> > > correct in the pppoe settings. If they are correct, see if you can
> > > ping those IPs. If you can't then you are not connected (or they ju=
st
> > > aren't responding).
> >
> > I got the network set up, to a point.
> > The problerm was that eth0 was and still is getting started at boot. =
> > have to mark it 'down' and then adsl-start works and I can get throug=
> > to the world.  But...
>
> I think this is all done via /etc/init.d/network ...try disabling this
> startup script and reboot.

> > > man hostname
> > >
> > > and look at your /etc/hosts file...
> > > 127.0.0.1=09localhost localhost.localdomain
> > > 192.168.1.100=09somename somname.somehost.tld
> >
> > right.  But this weird.  trying to set the hostname works, but when I
> > reboot it's lost.
> > See, it's that second line:  192.168 etc... that I wonder about.
> > I know that I need to enter my 'praeclara.com' name there.  But what =
IP
> > addy do I enter?
>
> Interesting indeed. I have a domain pointing to my machine as well...bu=
> then I am behind a Linksys router so that takes care of my end. I would
> imagine that you could just use any ol 192.168 / 10.0 ip addy in the
> /etc/hosts file ...a la:
> 192.168.1.100=09poobox poobox.praeclara.com
>
> > My addy is assigned dynamically via pppoe.  But I have custom dyndns,
> > which always points my domain name to my current, real ip addy.
>
> zoneedit.com?
>
> > And I think this is causing my sendmail probs.  I can send mail, but =
> > can't receive it.  I think it may be because the default network devi=
ce
> > is eth0 and maybe it should be ppp0 (or something else).  And I don't
> > have a clue about how to change that.  All this stuff is done
> > automagically behind the scenes, it seems, and I don't know what to
> > even try...
> >
> > When I check my /var/log/messages and maillog, I see absolutely nothi=
ng
> > irregular.  Nothing.  Just no sign of incoming messages.
> >
> > And like I said, I think that's because this hostname and default
> > network device issue.
> >
> > Any ideas how to proceed?  I'm sooo close.  All i'll have to do after
> > sendmail is set up ipmasquerading, imapd and I'll be golden!
>
> Once you get the PPPoE issue ironed out, then start on the sendmail
> issue. You might have to add some lines in your
> /etc/mail/local-host-names file ...I just checked, and I'm not getting
> mail on my machine either...I think I'll get rid of sendmail and instal=
> Postfix...much easier to deal with I think :) I'd recommend the same.
>
> Let us know how this goes
> r.

OK.  Here's how it goes.
I disabled eth0:  ifconfig eth0 down
and then adsl-start worked. =20
So I used Internet Configuration Wizard, entered my hostname and disabled=
=20
eth0.  Rebooted.  Now eth0 didn't show up in ifconfig's output, only the =
lo=20
interface.  So far so good.

Then I did the ol adsl-start.  That brought the network up and got me=20
connected.  ddclient then sent root an email saying that my domain info w=
as=20
now updated.  Also good.  I typed hostname -i and got the newly assigned =
ip=20
addy.  Then 'hostname' reported my proper hostname and not localhost.

Then I fiddled and fscked with sendmail to no avail.  I ended up complete=
ly=20
wiping it from the drive and built postfix, installed and configured it. =
=20
(First I tried rpms, but that was feckless--I didn't see postfix rpms on =
the=20
YDL mirrors, btw).
After configuring postfix, I ran postfix check.  There were some permissi=
ons=20
problems that I had to fix.  Still didn't work because I ended up rpm -e'=
ing=20
sendmail, which removed quite a few /etc files, alias files and whatnot. =
 So=20
I ckecked maillog and found the problems fairly quickly.  Copied files to=
=20
where they belonged, adjusted a few more parameters in main.cf and voila!
email works!  pppoe works.

Now:  anyone have a good howto on sharing this internet connection with m=
y=20
eMac?  And a good iptables/firewalling how-to?  I haven't looked at all y=
et=20
and I'm sure they're out there.  But I had enough for one day.

Thanks again,