Successful install-----now for some tweaking

Rob yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Feb 22 22:18:01 2003

I have managed to get a G3 minitower together running OS X, OS 9, and
YDL 2.3 all on the same hard drive.  I used an old 13.6 Gb drive I had
and took the default 3-way split from OS 9 drive setup.  I have OS X in
the first partition (HFS+), OS 9 in the second (HFS), and let YDL do
whatever with the remaining unallocated.  This is a little different
than what is on the website.  I saw something here about this awhile
back and thought I'd post what worked for me.

I have some minor problems with the configuration that I'd like help
with.  I was never able to get the sound to work with the A/V sound
card.  If anyone has been able to get the sound working with that card
PLEASE tell me how.  I'd like that card in here so I could use my XClaim
TV in OS 9.  Anyway, sound works with the regular sound card except ....
I go through this whenever I login:

Sound works properly when I login as root but not as user (me).  I get
the /dev/dsp error near the end of the KDE desktop loading so I ....

open a terminal and as root
cd /dev
chmod 755 /dev/dsp*
ls -al dsp* to check the permissions changed
then ....
open Control Center/Sound/Sound Server/
on the Sound I/O tab change any option then change it back
click apply and then yes to restart the sound server
then, on the General tab click Test Sound and I have sound

after that, sound works properly for me as user

I have done the mods on the website for G3 sound and can play cds and
streaming audio (playing Naked Rock Radio as I type now).

My permission for /dev/dsp is reset on every reboot.  I thought changing
permissions as root should be permanent but something changes them
without fail every time.

Does anyone have the solution for this?

A note about the failed install with the A/V sound card:

Presently, in my /dev directory I have:
/dsp
/dsp1
/dsp56k

When I installed with the A/V sound card in I had:
/dsp
/dsp1
/dsp2
I don't remember for sure about /dsp56k but it probably was there.  I
changed permissions on these just about every way possible and never
could get sound as user or root.  Anybody have any ideas about this?

TIA,

Rob