YDL2.3, Xserve, and firewire

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 26 14:23:01 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 04:37  AM, Michael George wrote:

> Has anyone gotten the firewire port to work on the Xserve running 2.3?
>  I've rebuilt the kernel with several types of interfaces compiled in,
> but nothing happens when I plug in a firewire drive and power it up.

Are you sure nothing really happens?  What (if any) system log messages
do you get when you hotplug a disk?  If you have the proper drivers
compiled in (or loaded if they're compiled as modules), the Firewire
subsystem should at least see a device showing up on the bus... and if
the SBP-2 driver for Firewire disks is loaded it should find the drive
and "log in" to it.

The reason I ask if you're sure is because as of the last time I used
it, the Linux firewire subsystem didn't have fully automatic handling
of device hotplug.  In the case of hard drives, the kernel drivers will
know something is there, but to actually use it you must rescan the
SBP-2 virtual SCSI bus (Firewire drives show up as SCSI devices because
SBP-2 is basically a form of SCSI) and then mount the drive after it
has been registered by the rescan.

Rescanning SCSI busses is done by fiddling with /proc stuff.  There's a
nifty shell script floating out there on the Net which automatically
finds all busses (including the virtual one that the Firewire drivers
register) and rescans them; google for "rescan-scsi-bus.sh".