German typographic quotes (non-iso characters) and X ??

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 2 14:36:01 2003

Hi,

I run into some very stupid problem: X (or Gnome/KDE??) doesn't seem to
support German typographic quotes, at least they cannot be displayed on the
screen with usual Gnome or KDE-editors/apps (printing is supposed to work).
I also haven't yet figured out how to teach Abiword displaying German
quotes.=20

After googling on that issue for a while I figured out that those German
quotes were left out by the current iso-standards (but not by other
standards, eg. HTML 4.0) and X probably doesn't support non iso-characters.

Is there any way to teach X or Gnome or KDE-apps to support those
characters?=20

It might be important that I cannot use XF 4.2 because it doesn't support m=
videocard's IMB RAMDAC (an ancient "ati xclaim ga" with 4 MB RAM). I have t=
use Xpmac.

I almost forgot:
Viewing those German quotes in a HTML-file (as HTML-4.0-entities „ an=
“) with Mozilla works. I had to add some nice current truetype fonts
to my Linux system before, off course.

-- =20
|MARKUS DEISTLER                   markus.deistler@fen-net.de |
|KRIEMHILDSTR. 18, 90461 N=DCRNBERG,     MOBIL -> 0162/6906779  |
|                                        TEL -> 0911/4099232  |