Print server services... Config help.

Jeroen Diederen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 2 14:41:00 2003

James Applebaum wrote:

> I have a AppleLaser Writer IIf that is connected to my network via a
> localtalk bridge. I would like to use my server as the print cue (for
> a group of apple desktop computers). Obviously I have Netatalk service
> running but the doc for setting up print services seems to be a bit
> vague. Note that I have not configured Cups on the server as yet... as
> I do the bulk of my server management through remote console on a OS-X
> laptop. (don't know if this might be significant)
> My local talk bridge does not offer a utility to set a static IP (AKA
> it is a real bridge not a print server).
>
> Can this be done?
>
> James Applebaum

I did exactly what you want to do. I have a Laserwriter 320 connected
via a bridge to a hub, which is connected to my client and my server via
ethernet.
You have to indeed install the netatalk package. Furthermore you have to do:

You can first try to find the printer with 'nbplkup'. This gives a list
of available Appletalk printers.

If you wnat to print to this printer, you have to download a pap backend:
http://vt.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at/~rupi/pap/
place this file in /usr/lib/cups/backend/ with the name pap.
chmod +x pap
you have to have the right PPD file for your printer
(http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/macppd.html).
This file has to be put in /usr/share/cups/model/. You have to then
restart CUPS. One can now add this printer to the CUPS list
(localhost:631 add printer).

To now add this printer in a network on has to add a little line in the
/etc/atalk/papd.conf file:

Linuxprinter:\ (the name as it will appear in the Chooser)
:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -P nameofprinter:\
:pd=/usr/share/cups/model/apple/aplw3201.ppd (route to you PPD file)

Restart netatalk (service atalk restart). now the printer should appear
in the Mac network.

A good link is this one:
http://www.giub.unibe.ch/%7Eeugster/appleprint.html
or this one: