Blue and White G3 Install problem

David Tisdell yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 8 12:24:01 2003

HI all,
I am having an install problem:
The machine is a Blue and White G3 (400MZ)Server with
896 MB of RAM. It has 3 SCSI drives (one 9gb and two
18gb) and two 40gb firewire drives. There are no ata
disk drives connected.
I can edit the partitions on the 9GB drive (sda). When
I try to continue after I am done with sda, I get the
following error:

There was a problem opening /dev/sdb:
Error: The partition data region doesn't occupy the
entire partition.

I get the same error with sdc.
The 18 gb drives were originally formatted with
softraid and mirrored to each other. The machine was
running Appleshare IP 6.2 with few problems until I
updated many of the clients to OS X Jaguar. There is a
problem with OS X and Appleshare IP that will not be
fixed. I decided Linux was my best solution for this
box. The machine has run AppleShare IP for quite some
time with few problems so I don't think SCSI
termination is an issue though I will double check on
that. Any other ideas?

The scsi controller is an adaptec ultra2-lvd/se. It
came with the machine from Apple
The information on the chip itself is
Adaptec
AIC-7890ab