Blue and White G3 Install problem

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 8 16:11:01 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 11:25  AM, David Tisdell wrote:

> I can edit the partitions on the 9GB drive (sda). When
> I try to continue after I am done with sda, I get the
> following error:
>
> There was a problem opening /dev/sdb:
> Error: The partition data region doesn't occupy the
> entire partition.
>
> I get the same error with sdc.
> The 18 gb drives were originally formatted with
> softraid and mirrored to each other.

It may help to boot to MacOS and reformat both the 18GB drives with
Apple's Drive Setup utility.  SoftRAID probably uses a nonstandard
partition layout, causing the YDL installer's partitioning code to have
problems.

BTW, you can RAID 1 those drives under Linux if you want to (presumably
this is to provide some redundancy to protect client files?); the Linux
kernel has built-in RAID support.  I don't think you can set up RAID
partitions at install time though.