ATA card

Walls, Bryan yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 8 15:43:02 2003

I have an old PowerCurve from PowerComputing I've been running with YDL 2.1
or so.

I interested in adding an ATA card with a really big IDE drive (at least
compared to the SCSI drive in it -- say 80GB) and then updating to the
latest YDL.

I'd like to use it as a fileserver for macs running OS 9 and OS X,
especially for serveing music to iTunes players.

I'd also use it as a rather low traffic web, mail, and list server, which
it's already doing.

Any suggestions on ATA cards to use or avoid? Is ATA/66 the right card to
get? I'm assuming faster would be pointless. The bus speed on the stock
Powercurve was 40MB with a 120MHz CPU. I think the current card is about
200MHz, so I'm probably still at a 40MB bus.

Will speed be adequate on a 10MB Ethernet to keep the music playing?

Would it be worthwhile to add a 100BT card to speed things up? Or will I be
limited by Catalyst bus speed?