ATA card

Dan A. Milisic yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 8 16:40:01 2003

I'm using a 2 year old Promise ATA/66 controller that I ripped from a PC
-- It works great under YDL.  If I remember correctly a Kernel recompile
with the Promise drivers enabled is all that's required.  Of course the
Drive won't be visible under any MacOS but there's nothing stopping you
from creating a HFS+ drive image on the IDE disc and running MOL ;)

HTH,
D.

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of Walls, Bryan
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 5:45 PM
To: 'yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com'
Subject: ATA card

I have an old PowerCurve from PowerComputing I've been running with YDL
2.1 or so.

I interested in adding an ATA card with a really big IDE drive (at least
compared to the SCSI drive in it -- say 80GB) and then updating to the
latest YDL.

I'd like to use it as a fileserver for macs running OS 9 and OS X,
especially for serveing music to iTunes players.

I'd also use it as a rather low traffic web, mail, and list server,
which it's already doing.

Any suggestions on ATA cards to use or avoid? Is ATA/66 the right card
to get? I'm assuming faster would be pointless. The bus speed on the
stock Powercurve was 40MB with a 120MHz CPU. I think the current card is
about 200MHz, so I'm probably still at a 40MB bus.

Will speed be adequate on a 10MB Ethernet to keep the music playing?

Would it be worthwhile to add a 100BT card to speed things up? Or will I
be limited by Catalyst bus speed?