installation of 2.3 on an iBook

Beverly Molloy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 11 14:22:01 2003

I've got a 600 Mhz "snow" iBook that I'm trying to install 2.3 on. I
downloaded the iso from the website.

I have hit the "xxx.rpm could not install. Please fix manually" error, which
is immediately followed by the warning that package installation failed.

I searched the archives and saw a lot of people with this problem. The only
thing approaching a solution that I saw was to run through the configuration
until I partitioned the disk, then restart and continue the install, using
the clean partitions I had created in the previous install.

Unfortunately, this does not work for me.

I saw another thread in which the person talked about going to another
command prompt & running " /sbin/parted and used the mkfs sub-command to
regenerate the root filesystem", but I can't get to another prompt from the
installation program? I've installed linux many times on intel hardware, so
I know what he's talking about, but I don't know the iBook keyboard
combination to get to a terminal prompt.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? Please?

Thanks
--Michael