yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #608 - 12 msgs

David Tisdell yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 11 20:33:01 2003

Tim,
Thanks for the idea. I was thinking about that myself.
I reformatted with Apple's Drive setup and the install
went without a hitch.
Since you mentioned the ability to use Raid, do you
have any good tips oncreating RAID volumes? I was
planning on that using raidtools but I don't have any
experience with this. I have created raid volumes in
RedHat but that was as part of the install using Disk
Druid. I haven't manually done it before. I am in
process of recompiling the lernel with RAID support.
thanks
Dave
-------------------------------------
>Message: 9
>Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:12:32 -0800
>Subject: Re: Blue and White G3 Install problem
>From: Tim Seufert <tas@mindspring.com>
>To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 11:25  AM, David
Tisdell wrote:

> I can edit the partitions on the 9GB drive (sda).
When
> I try to continue after I am done with sda, I get
the
> following error:
>
> There was a problem opening /dev/sdb:
> Error: The partition data region doesn't occupy the
> entire partition.
>
> I get the same error with sdc.
> The 18 gb drives were originally formatted with
> softraid and mirrored to each other.

It may help to boot to MacOS and reformat both the
18GB drives with
Apple's Drive Setup utility.  SoftRAID probably uses a
nonstandard
partition layout, causing the YDL installer's
partitioning code to have
problems.

BTW, you can RAID 1 those drives under Linux if you
want to (presumably
this is to provide some redundancy to protect client
files?); the Linux
kernel has built-in RAID support.  I don't think you
can set up RAID
partitions at install time though.