Printing Error

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 17 09:34:01 2003

Hi Joe,

did you get my mail from 07-Jan-03?

I think the mistake is in your .paprc - try leaving :LaserWriter away,
or use the full nbpname with an @* at the end [don't remember correctly
which version, it's either or - try both =;]:

4MP or 4MP:LaserWriter@*

If you use quotes, they should be at the beginning and end, not just
around the name:

"4MP" or "4MP:LaserWriter@*"

In case the zone the printer is in has a name, that name _must_ appear
behind the "@"-sign instead of the "*". If your network has no
AppleTalk seed router, the "@*" is still neccessary as to indicate the
default local zone [although none seems to be existing when using
getzones, AppleTalk consideres the unnamed zone of your local network
as existing and it can be addressed with @*].

Reading the man pages for pap, nbp_name and in particular psf will
reveal a lot of what's neccessary to setup printing through lpr to a
printer connected via AppleTalk.

> Now that I can see my printer I can't get it to print:
>
> [joev@localhost joev]$ lpr -P lp printtest.txt
> lpr: unable to print file: client-error-not-found
>
> I  can ONLY get a text file to print properly using:
>
> [joev@localhost local]$ /usr/bin/pap -p 4MP :LaserWriter@*
> /home/joev/printtest.txt
>
> my printcap looks like:
>
> lp|4MP:\
>         :lp=/dev/atalk/lp:\

Is /dev/atalk/lp a null device created for that printer?
quote from man psf:
"Note that if the host in question spools to more than one AppleTalk
printer, /dev/null should not be used for the lp capability. Instead, a
null device should be created with mknod for each printer, as has been
done above [the example in man psf]."

>         :sd=/var/spool/lp:\
>         :px#3060:py#3960:sh:sf:rw:\
>         :lf=/var/tmp/lpd-errs:\
>         :if=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ifpap:\
>         :tf=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/tfpap:\
>         :df=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/dfpap:\
>         :of=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ofpap:

Are these filters really existing? They all should be links pointing to
psf, usually /usr/sbin/psf.
On my YDL 2.3 machine here [netatalk 1.5.2-1a], they are as follows:

[holale@wwwsvr02 holale]$ locate ifpap
/usr/sbin/ifpaprev
/usr/sbin/ifpap
[holale@wwwsvr02 holale]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/ifpap
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Jun 27  2002 /usr/sbin/ifpap
-> psf
[holale@wwwsvr02 holale]$

> and .paprc:
>
> "4MP":LaserWriter

See above.

Hope that helps.
Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040