Accessing Mac Partition Files

Juan Manuel Palacios yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 20 15:35:01 2003

	Apart from everything else that has been said already about HFS+
support under Linux, you should know some of the *relevant* technical
details. You cannot view the contents of an HFS+ formatted partition
with the standard "ls" utility because there's no support for the
filesystem in the kernel. Only filesystems that have support either
*inside* the kernel or as modules can be seamlessly integrated into the
file hierarchy and therefore their contents can be manipulated without
any add-ons.

	As said already that is not the case for HFS+, as opposed to
traditional HFS (its contents *can*be manipulated with ls, mv,
cp,etc.), so you are going to need other tools to view that partition's
contents and to manipulate them. As someone else suggested there is an
rpm named hfsplusutils.ppc.rpm you'll have to install. Do a :

rpm -q hfsplusutils <-- to see if you have it installed, and
rpm -qi hfsplusutils <-- to view some info on the contents of the
package. Provide the full path to the rpm if it's not installed.

	If I recall correctly (long time since I last used it) this package
installs something that goes by the name of "hfsls" (or was that
"lshfs"?... anyone?), which must be used to view the contents of an
HFS+ formatted partition. Similar utilities are used for moving files
around: "hfsmv", "hfscp" and so on. Check to see if the thing is
"hfs<regular-utility>" or "<regular-utility>hfs". If anyone could chime
in to clarify the names of these I'd appreciate it.

	But please keep in mind Glen, this software is considered experimental
and there is no telling if it can harm your data or not, and how. I
have not used them very much myself, bare in mind!

	Hope that helps. Sincerely,...

		Juan.