Accessing Mac Partition Files

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 20 16:18:01 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 01:58  PM, nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Romain Kang wrote:
>>
>> The other avenue would be to configure UFS support into the Linux
>> kernel, since UFS is part of OS X.  However, the Linux side UFS
>> write code is still marked EXPERIMENTAL, so caveat emptor.
>>

> I've tried to mount MacOSX UFS splices using YDL 2.2 which never worked
> correctly.  I think that part of the problem is that DiskUtil doesn't
> lay down proper a BSD disklabel so the mount code gets cofused.

A BSD disklabel would be inappropriate since Apple uses the Macintosh
partition format.  If the Linux kernel's UFS driver requires UFS
partitions to be on disks partitioned with the BSD disklabel scheme, I
think that would qualify as a bug -- FS drivers are supposed to be
partition scheme neutral.

I have vague memories that there are supposed to be some flags you can
pass to the Linux mount which allow it to mount an Apple/NeXT UFS.
This because it's not quite a standard UFS format; NeXT let their UFS
implementation drift away from other BSDs back when NeXT was getting
out of being an OS vendor.  MacOS X UFS is still neglected since HFS+
is now the primary FS.