Installing on Xserve

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 27 23:57:00 2003

Responding to myself to give more information

> I've compiled my own kernel from Ben's 2.4 development tree on
> penguinppc.org (which I needed to do anyway to get the Ethernets working
> properly), and I've compiled the ReiserFS userland tools, 3.x.0j
> which I am accustomed to using on both x86 and Alpha Linux.  Trying to
> mkreiserfs just keeps printing out the usage instructions regardless of
> whatever parameters I give.  The partitions I'm trying to create a
> Reiser filesystem on are quite valid and will happily accept an ext2
> filesystem, and my parameters are correct, of course.  I also tried
> compiling the latest 3.6.4 userland tools package, but the build fails
> with pages full of PPC specific errors.  How do I get ReiserFS to work?

Just to make sure, I booted the 7300/166 I have into Debian 3.0.  I've
got the 2.4.19-rc1 kernel and ReiserFS userland tools 3.x.1b on it.

I had no problems creating a reiserfs on an unused partition on this
combination.

What is it that's causing mkreiserfs to fail on YDL/Xserve?

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.