hwclock has life of its own

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 29 19:46:01 2003

I just did some more digging into TLDP and found this
link: http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/time.txt

This seems to say that the UTC parameter of the
/etc/sysconfig/clock script is used by
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and /etc/init.d/halt in order to
pass the correct parameter to hwclock --hctosys at
boot time and hwclock --systohc at shutdown.

I think that the fact that both clock -r and clock -r
--utc come up with the same time in your context is
because, probably, the third line in your /etc/adjtime
is UTC. Did you try /sbin/clock -r --localtime, for
fun?

Now, if I keep the hwclock in UTC, as yours, the
problem might be solved. Maybe /sbin/clock -r --utc is
meaningless if the hwclock is in localtime. I would
have to check the source of hwclock.

I'll try tomorrow switching the hwclock to UTC and see
what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Aurel

--- Christopher Murtagh