USB Ethernet or Wireless Adapter?

John Brayton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 31 07:57:00 2003

I wonder if someone could give me some guidance on a problem I have run
into.

I am moving a personal server to a home network with one public IP
address.    The server runs on a bondi iMac running Yellow Dog Linux.
The hardware has one ethernet port, and no slot for an Airport card.

I am currently using an Airport Base Station for NAT, as well as
wireless access throughout the home.  But the Airport Base Station only
allows port mapping for ten ports, and I need more ports than that open
on the server.

I think I have three options:
-Replace the airport base station with a router that can provide port
mapping for more than ten ports.
-Add a USB ethernet adapter to the server, and use it as both a router
and a server.  Connect the airport base station via Ethernet to the
server, for wireless clients.
-Add a USB wireless adapter to the server, and use it both as a router
and a server.

My question is:  Are there any USB ethernet or USB wireless (802.11b)
adapters with drivers that work with Yellow Dog Linux?  I am assuming I
can use natd to do the IP sharing, although I have no experience with
this.  Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?  Would I be better
off getting a new router?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John