NTP server

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 31 10:01:00 2003

I assume your gateway is a Linux box (YDL?) running ntpd and talking out
its public IP interface to the public stratum 2 servers.  Ntpd will act
both as a client and a server, once it is synced up to a lower (better)
stratum server.

So, try this...

	Tell your (client) machines behind the gateway to use the gateway as
their time source.

	This will involve vastly different incantations for different OS's.
Give us a little more detail as to which OS's are involved, and we can
help more.

	Report back if any of the client machines don't manage to sync up.

You can also try posting to the netnews newsgroup "comp.protocols.time.ntp".

I should note in passing that there are some obscure unresolved issues
regarding running the current ntpd on hosts with two or more network
interfaces.  But they mostly have to do with multicast, and shouldn't
affect you for this setup.

Rick