no @

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 1 02:05:00 2003

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 01.07.03, um 08:08 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com:

> Message: 1
> From: "Natalia Portillo" <iosglpgc@teleline.es>
> To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> Subject: RE: no @
> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:10:08 +0100
>
> Ok.
>
> It is a well known problem, very known, very uncorrected.
> It assumes that all keyboards are PC ones.
> That is.
>
> Ctrl, Win, Alt, Alt-Gr (on non-english keyboards), Win, Contextual,
> Ctrl.
>
> Ok, but things are different.
>
> Here, in Macs, is:
> Ctrl, Option, Command, Command, Option, Ctrl.
>
> But, Linux assumes following "mapping":
> Ctrl, Alt, Unmmaped, Unmmaped, Alt-Gr, Ctrl.
>
> Ok in Mac laptopts there is no right command, nor option, nor ctrl.
> So this incorrect "mapping" doesnt' work, but as no one corrected that.
>
> In Mac writing @ is as simply as any-option+2, in PC is Alt-Gr+2, but
> ok, laptops doesnt have "alt-gr".
>
> Please, correct.

There is a nice HowTo written by Christoph Ertelt (update by Thomas
Ley), to be found at:

http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
keyboard_german.shtml

If you follow those steps outlined there, your keyboard will function,
as described: map the right <ALT> key to the command key.

In case you want to use other keys than outlined, use the "showkey"
command from within a terminal window, to determine the accurate
keycode for the desired key and enter that into the appropriate section.

Only caveat that I found: on USB keyboards, left and right command keys
(aka Apple key) produce different keycodes, so you have to choose one
for substitution, whereas on old ADB keyboards, left and right command
produces the same keycode, therefore left _or_ right Apple keys will
work as substitutes.

Hope that gets you on the road.

Going to

http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/

will list some other tricks to get other languages to work, but I
haven't read them so YMMV.

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040