/sbin/loader problems during install

Mike Haase yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 1 14:37:01 2003

My, albeit limited experience, with YDL 3.0 suggests that you should go buy
some more memory.  I have a 7500 with 300mhz G3 and 150-odd megabytes of
memory.  I chose KDE as the desktop (and did not load Gnome because I have
less disk than you).  When I log in I find that I'm using essentially all
the physical memory.  There is about 2MB in the free list but I think thats
an artifiact of the Virtual Memory System.  Theres some small number of
processes swapped out so that's where the free space comes from.

Not knowing what you intend to do on your YDL platform, you may find it
satisfacrory and then again maybe not.  I suspect you will have a yearning
for memory and Mhz.

What options did you select out of Bootx?

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Mike
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 1:16 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: /sbin/loader problems during install

Howdy All,
I've got a Power Mac 5400/120 with 134Meg of memory and a 6Gig Hdisd,
w/ 8x CDROM.  Nice box for YDL, or so i hope.. the install locks when it
begins execution of /sbin/loader, the cursor blinks about 5 times and
freezes.
About 5 lines above this one, there is a message about no default tty found.
If you have any ideas to try, please feel free to share them.
Sincerely
Mike Green