Compiling the kernel

Ken Krauter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 2 07:08:01 2003

I have pretty extensive experience compiling Linux kernels on Intel.
However, I cannot seem to
get it done on my PPC/PowerBook.  I have set up to compile the
YellowDog kernel exactly using
make xconfig and loading the saved configuration from the configs
subdirectory.  Making bzImage
(or for that matter zImage as well) goes without a hitch.  However
making the modules leads to
a slew of syntax errors in standard header files (mismatched arguments,
missing definitions etc).
Can someone who has compiled under ppc just post the string of commands
that worked?  Is there
a definition somewhere I am forgetting?

1)  make mrproper
2) make xconfig - load Yellowdog config file from files - no other
changes)
3) make bzImage
4) make modules (all hell breaks loose......)

I just tried the same sequence on my Intel machine running Red Hat 8
and it works just fine except for
the yellow dog config part.

Ken Krauter
University of Colorado at Boulder