PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G# processor

Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 2 10:45:01 2003

Dear Chris

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 04:51  PM, Chris Bacon wrote:

> Main Question: Is there a way to wipe out the whole
> system and just boot off of a Floppy and install YDL
> by itself? Sounds like a PC question because that's
> what I'm used to.

There is a way to boot from a separate small HFS partition and to
install and reboot the system that way.

You will need a bootable Mac OS System CD in addition to that.

> I don't want to have any MAC software on this system.

That's the way to do, called "Booting using 'miBoot'".

Alexander Holst from Uni-Pforzheim set up a disk image including
instructions how to use it and to configure the setup:

(You will only have to download the disk image, the instructions are
included)

<http://apple.fh-pforzheim.de/YDL/files/Boot_Linux.comp.ro.img.sit>

Instructions how to use:

<http://apple.fh-pforzheim.de/YDL/files/README.Boot_Linux.html>

Additionally you may have to install a new kernel binary after
succesfully installing YDL 3.0 on your PPC to boot it if you are using
a drive with a third party PCI SCSI or UW-SCSI card to install Linux on
or a third party 10/100 PCI card with DEC chips in your PPC.

To do that, simply use my web-site. You will find the needed
instructions as well a recompiled kernel binary for the PPC 8500!

Good luck, it's really worth the trip!

Thomas

--
Thomas Kuehner