ydl3, g3 powerbook, yum, kpackage, catch-22. 2nd stab

Daniel Rairigh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 7 07:37:08 2003

I am a little new to package managers my self, but here are a couple things
I have learned that might help:

>1) KPackage  (which was a good thing in ydl2.3)  seems to have gone away,
>so I can't use that nifty graphical package installer.

If you have Gnome installed you can try gnorpm (you don't have to be
running Gnome, just have it installed)

>2) rpm doesn't seem to all be there:  --list, doesn't work, so I can't see
>if kpackage is really in the build of kdeadmin.*.rpm that came with ydl3.
>3) I can't use yum nor apt-get: I only have an Aol account at the house
>(whihc is linux-resistant), and I have yet to succeed at getting through
>the NT network firewalls (will yum work with firewall authentication?
>Haven't seen it yet), which I haven't accomplished on the ydl box yet.
>4) I can (have to) install stuff off of CD - I can download the world into
>my NT box at the office, burn it to cd, and install it from there. Only I
>can't: yum -C is still trying to find the web/ftp sites. Which I can't get to.

I have read that apt-get is now the recommended over yup.  Check out this
article:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_2.1/2.2_upgrade.shtml
It is a little old, but it will show you how to point apt-get to your CD so
you can install from there.

>5) And rpm keeps saying I need to install other packages, which I already
>have installed. And it seems to be a bit confused:  rpm --install
>kdeadmin.*.rpm  will say it is already installed, but rpm --query
>kdeadmin.*.rpm says it is not installed.

You might be looking at different versions.  Try rpm --query kdeadmin
rather than rpm --query kdeadmin.*.rpm
That will tell you what version of kdeadmin is installed (if one is installed)

Hope that helps