ydl3, g3 powerbook, yum, kpackage, catch-22. 2nd stab

Daniel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 8 07:04:01 2003

Some more thoughts on rpm:

>1) KPackage  (which was a good thing in ydl2.3)  seems to have gone away,
>so I can't use that nifty graphical package installer.
>2) rpm doesn't seem to all be there:  --list, doesn't work, so I can't see
>if kpackage is really in the build of kdeadmin.*.rpm that came with ydl3.

I checked my copy of YDL 3.0 and I can't find kpackage in
kdeadmin-3.1-1.ppc.rpm either.  I am not sure where they put it.

>5) And rpm keeps saying I need to install other packages, which I already
>have installed. And it seems to be a bit confused:  rpm --install
>kdeadmin.*.rpm  will say it is already installed, but rpm --query
>kdeadmin.*.rpm says it is not installed.

rpm --query kdeadmin.*.rpm  Will tell you that the rpm is not installed
because it is expecting a package name not a file name.
It is expecting: rpm --query kdeadmin

Try rpm -ql kdeadmin (without all the .*.rpm stuff to get a list of all
that is installed on your system)
To list the files included in an rpm file that is not installed, try: rpm
-ql -p kdeadmin-3.1-1.ppc.rpm

My guess is that your copy of rpm is fine.  rpm can be a little tricky to use.

You said "rpm keeps saying I need to install other packages, which I
already have installed" do you have the correct version of those packages
installed?

Try checking out the man pages on rpm it is a not nearly as easy to use as
a GUI interface, but it is a good thing to know how to use.