Anything to be said for Xserve RAID?

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 9 04:30:01 2003

> Does anyone have anything to say about linux on Xserve and working with
> the Xserve RAID system?  That is, the modular raid system allowing you
> to greatly extend your storage capacity options.  Is it as simple as
> getting the promise card working??

If I'm reading the documentation right, the Xserve RAID box connects to
the computer using a separately sold Fibre Channel adapter and has nothing
to do with the internal Promise controllers.

I don't know what kind of FC adapter Apple are selling for the purpose.
If somebody can find that out, then it would be easier to find out
whether their card of choice is supported in Linux.  I know for a fact
that the Compaq 64-bit/66 MHz FC adapter works with x86 Linux, but I
haven't tried it on the PPC.

How is the Xserve RAID managed?  I hope it's not that the management
tools require OS X and there is no way to work with it without using
them.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.