airport problem (maybe not?)

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 20:27:01 2003

--bound1057891965

something i found out earlier today
perhaps its just on my system- but i assigned my tibook a static ip on the hard line, and dhcp on the airport.
i can ping the router from airport- but not the real world.
i changed the configuration to dhcp on the hard line, and the static on the airport.
voila! it worked.
not really sure WHY...
but i can get hard line and dhcp running on othermachines just fine.
just a thought.

btw- has anyone else tripped over a problem with the gui network admin tool?
"neat"
i had to change everything with webmin.

Jeff Burton <jeffburton4045@shaw.ca> wrote ..
> I don't have a base station.
> I am using "Internet Sharing" in OSX on my G4 Tower(has airport card),
> and sharing with airport equipped computers is enabled.
>
> The airport cards are talking to each other...
> the IP routing table shows IP 10.0.2.0 as the destination for eth1.
> ifcfg-eth1 is set to use dhcp. (BOOTPROTO=dhcp)
> You cannot set an IP address with internet sharing, you can only enable
> encryption and set the channel
>
> I don't want eth1(or eth0) up at boot, so I use 'ifup/ifdown' to
> start/stop the network, whether I am using a static IP connex at work,
> or (wanting to use ) airport at home.
>
> I can connect to outside ftp servers with ncftp(on the ibook, which has
> a wireless conex with my G4), but after my password is accepted and I'm
> dropped into the base dir the server does not respond when i do "ls"
> and I am booted out.
>
> I also cannot get any web browsers to work ....all can't find the web
> pages I type in.
>
> As I mentioned something similar happened With the static IP as well.
> That somehow went away w/o me doing anything that I am aware of.  (I
> would like to know what happened..)
>
> As well, I have gotten this to work in YDL 2.3 before with this same
> method(different install), but cannot now no matter what I do!
>
> So it seems I am connected to the internet, but cannot interact with
> it....?
>
> I am stuck.

--bound1057891965--