serial settings for laserwriter

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 11 17:58:01 2003

Hello everyone -

I got tired of trying to make my Laserwriter Select 310 print in Linux,
so I bought an I/O board for a Select 360 from ebay. I thought this
would be easier since there was a listing for the 360 in Print tool. I
was wrong - I don't even get a blink out of it in Linux. The 310 at
least blinked it's lights for me once in a while - and eventually
printed from KDE applications. I am still pleased with the purchase
because I can now print from MacOS9 and it works beautifully from all
applications. However, I would still like to use it in Linux.  Does
anyone have a Select 360 that works under Linux using the standard Mac
printer port? I don't really care if I have to set up Appletalk for
Linux, but I don't think that Appletalk will work with Linux through the
Localtalk port. The 360 has an RS-232 serial port which is separate from
the Localtalk port. (The 310 used the MiniDIN port as an RS-232 port not
as a Localtalk port.) I believe I can use a serial cable with a MiniDIN
plug on one end and a regular serial port on the other. However, I need
to know what serial settings work. The ones I had set up for the 310
don't work. I have been unable to print even an ASCII test page so I'm
wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the RS-232 port. Is
there a way I can test it? Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Cindy