different behavior for RPM dependency handling between yum andapt

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 11 20:07:01 2003

Rick Thomas wrote:

> It seems to me that ("obsoletes" loop) is a configuration error that yum
> should be checking for and complaining about -- so somebody can do
> something about it!  Not a "fact of life" that should cause the
> designers to drop an important feature.

Uh.. Mutually obsoleting packages are allowed. If they weren't
allowed, then we would've chosen to just detect the loop and
complain about it.

> But I'm not on the yum design team, so what do I know?  Maybe after I
> retire I'll have time to work on this kind of stuff...

I *am* on the yum design team, and this subject has been mulled over
a whole lot back when the problem of gated reinstalling zebra
reinstalling gated came out. The result of the deliberations was that:

a) obsoletes are unlikely to happen within a lifetime of a release,
so yum should do "update" and ignore obsoletes.
b) when going to a subsequent release, one should use "yum upgrade"
so obsoletes can be resolved and applied.

This is a design feature and is documented.

--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin