different behavior for RPM dependency handling between yum and apt

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 11 22:45:01 2003

Well... yes (I assume you are referring to "man yum" when you speak
of documentation) it's documented if by that you mean that "yum
update" and "yum upgrade" are documented as being different in the
treatment of obsoleting (one does, and one doesn't) and "upgrade"
is recommended for going between distributions and "update" is for
going within distributions.

Maybe I'm slow, but I didn't deduce from that discussion the fact
that "update" would fail to at least warn me about "obsoletes" not
being acted upon.

Suggestion: If it's a feature to have "update" ignore obsoletes,
then it should be a feature to have it warn the user when it does
so.

My two cents worth...

Rick

PS: Is there a design document for "yum" that I can read?  One
where issues like these are discussed?

PPS: Presumably, only one of "gated" or "zebra" can be installed at
one time.  If "yum" only upgrades the installed packages (and
[optionally] acts only on those packages "obsoletes"), then what's
the problem?  Only one set of obsoletes will be visible during the
upgrade.  Am I missing something?

PPPS: "Yum" is a great program.  I'm truly impressed with it.  All
of this is a very minor issue.  And thanks for the full and
complete answer to my question.  It's nice to deal with folks who
care about what the user thinks.