airport problem

John Howland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 12 19:34:01 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, John Howland wrote:

> I finally have a working YDL 3.0 Titaniam (after 2 mother board
> replacements).  I have an airport base station at home and
> various wire and wireless connections possible on campus.
>
> I used the airport admin tool under MacOSX to config default settings
> in the airport base station except for an auto-dial connection from the internal
> modem to a ppp server on our Trinity.Edu network.
>
> Then I modified some of the network config files in /etc/sysconfig so that:
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=Amalthea.CS.Trinity.Edu
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> GATEWAY=131.194.150.1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=131.194.191.255
> IPADDR=131.194.131.42
> NETMASK=255.255.192.0
> NETWORK=131.194.128.0
> ONBOOT=no
> USERCTL=yes
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> GATEWAY=131.194.150.1
> BROADCAST=131.194.191.255
> IPADDR=131.194.131.42
> NETMASK=255.255.192.0
> NETWORK=131.194.128.0
> ONBOOT=no
> USERCTL=yes
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-air
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=no
> USERCTL=yes
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-dhcp
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=no
> USERCTL=yes
>
> This gives static or dhcp ip's for eth0 and eth1.  Note that the
> system does not activate any interfaces (other than the loopback) when
> booting.  Also note that for the convenience of the few users of
> this machine that user control of the interfaces is allowed.  After booting,
> depending on location, use one of the following scripts to bring up
> networking:
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/home
> #!/bin/bash
> # A simple script to bring up wireless networking.
> # We assume no other active network interface (other
> # than the loopback interface)
> /sbin/ifup air
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/office
> #!/bin/bash
> # A simple script to bring up networking at the office
> # We assume no other active interface (other than the
> # loopback interface).
> /sbin/ifup eth0
> cp /etc/resolv.conf-office /etc/resolv.conf
>
> [jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/dhcp
> #!/bin/bash
> [...]

I forgot to mention that mol, running OSX, through the tunneling interface runs all
the above protocols without problems.

John E. Howland       url: http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/
Computer Science    email: jhowland@ariel.cs.trinity.edu
Trinity University  voice: (210) 999-7364
One Trinity Place     fax: (210) 999-7477
San Antonio, Texas  78212-7200