airport problem

John Howland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 12 19:07:01 2003

I finally have a working YDL 3.0 Titaniam (after 2 mother board
replacements).  I have an airport base station at home and
various wire and wireless connections possible on campus.

I used the airport admin tool under MacOSX to config default settings
in the airport base station except for an auto-dial connection from the internal
modem to a ppp server on our Trinity.Edu network.

Then I modified some of the network config files in /etc/sysconfig so that:

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=Amalthea.CS.Trinity.Edu

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
GATEWAY=131.194.150.1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=131.194.191.255
IPADDR=131.194.131.42
NETMASK=255.255.192.0
NETWORK=131.194.128.0
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
GATEWAY=131.194.150.1
BROADCAST=131.194.191.255
IPADDR=131.194.131.42
NETMASK=255.255.192.0
NETWORK=131.194.128.0
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-air
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-dhcp
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes

This gives static or dhcp ip's for eth0 and eth1.  Note that the
system does not activate any interfaces (other than the loopback) when
booting.  Also note that for the convenience of the few users of
this machine that user control of the interfaces is allowed.  After booting,
depending on location, use one of the following scripts to bring up
networking:

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/home
#!/bin/bash
# A simple script to bring up wireless networking.
# We assume no other active network interface (other
# than the loopback interface)
/sbin/ifup air

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/office
#!/bin/bash
# A simple script to bring up networking at the office
# We assume no other active interface (other than the
# loopback interface).
/sbin/ifup eth0
cp /etc/resolv.conf-office /etc/resolv.conf

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/dhcp
#!/bin/bash
# A simple script to bring up networking at the office
# using wire ethernet and a dhcp supplied ip number.
# We assume no other active interface (other than the
# loopback interface).
/sbin/ifup dhcp

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ cat /usr/local/bin/wireless
#!/bin/bash
# A simple script to bring up wireless networking.
# We assume no other active network interface (other
# than the loopback interface)
/sbin/ifup air

The home script brings up the wireless interface, eth1.  After this one
should see something like:

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
10.0.1.0        *               255.255.255.0   U        40 0          0 eth1
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U        40 0          0 lo
default         10.0.1.1        0.0.0.0         UG       40 0          0 eth1

The office script brings up the wire interface, eth0.  After running this script
one should see something like:

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
131.194.128.0   *               255.255.192.0   U        40 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U        40 0          0 lo
default         gw2.tucc.trinit 0.0.0.0         UG       40 0          0 eth0

The office script copies a resolv.conf file to /etc/resolv.conf to setup
DNS servers and domain search lists for the wire connection.  All other
possible connections are DHCP which do not need this.  This requires unsafe
permissions of

[jhowland@Amalthea jhowland]$ l /etc/resolv*
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root          234 Jul 12 09:11 /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           74 Jun 18 10:44 /etc/resolv.conf-office

for /etc/resolv.conf but this is acceptable as the machine has but 3 trusted
users (two of which don't know what /etc/resolv.conf and file permissions
are).

These setups allow ftp, ssh, http:, pop3, etc for all possible network connections.

John E. Howland       url: http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/
Computer Science    email: jhowland@ariel.cs.trinity.edu
Trinity University  voice: (210) 999-7364
One Trinity Place     fax: (210) 999-7477
San Antonio, Texas  78212-7200