Haalp! Wiped out Mac OS Partitions from Hard Drive, Now cant boot!

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 20 11:37:01 2003

Isn't the 9600 an "OldWorld" Mac?  If so, you need a MacOS
partition with a minimal system folder and the BootX app/extension
in order to get it to boot.

Borrow a MacOS-9 CD-ROM (MacOS 8.6 works OK too) from somebody.
Boot it by holding down the "C" key during the "bong" on power-up.
Use the apple disk setup utility to re-partition the disk with a
small HFS partition (not HFS+), and the rest "unused".  Install a
minimal version of MacOS in the HFS partition. Boot it into MacOS
and install BootX off the YDL install CD.  Use that to boot from
the YDL install CD. Use the YDL disk partitioning druid to divvy up
the "unused" part of the disk. Don't erase the MacOS-9 partition --
you'll need it.  Complete the Linux installation.  You're home and
dry.

When you reboot it will briefly go into MacOS and run BootX before

The minimal Mac-OS partition can be as small as 50 MB, but that
takes a lot of effort throwing out unused junk not directly
applicable to the task of booting Linux.  I'd recommend you allow
at least 200 or 300 MB for MacOS.  Then you've got a functioning
MacOS to use for debugging things when/if you suspect hardware
problems later on down the road.

Enjoy!

Rick

PS -- This is just a sketch.  The details are all in the README
documents.  Come back here and ask the list if you run into trouble.