Quadruple boot YDL, Gentoo PPC, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9???

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 20 13:41:01 2003

Many thanks everyone for your suggestions and input. I must admit, I
haven't been completely convinced by the 'faster' argument that some
gentoo users have been bandying about...

I did however, also want to try it out as a way of having a nice
customised distro... and for that purpose alone, I figured that doing it
from the outset would be the best way.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions re my questions about sharing the
swap and /home partitions between YDL and gentoo?

And what about the config problems with yaboot? I've used grub
extensively with redhat and had dual boot setup with winxp as well as 3
or 4 different kernels... Is yaboot the same kind of setup? Do I just
need to point yaboot to my different kernels etc?

Lastly, would it be possible to add a key to boot gentoo? I thought 'g'
for gentoo would be fairly obvious! I did a dual boot of a powerbook the
other day using OS X and YDL and yaboot configured that with no input
from me... X for OS X and Y or L for YDL (can't remember exactly)...

Obviously, without the actual machine in my hands it's difficult to
really have a play but I thought i'd try and get all the details ironed
out in my head so when the unit arrives next week, I can get cracking
and hopefully have it setup in a day!?!

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,

Andrew.