Quadruple boot YDL, Gentoo PPC, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9???

Ron Smith yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 20 14:15:00 2003

Yes, you will be able to add it to yaboot. When you do the YDL install
it will automatically make the keys for YDL "l" and OS X "x" and you
can just by add Gentoo later by modifying /etc/yaboot.conf and then
running /usr/ybin/ as root. Use the entries for YDL and OS X in
/etc/yaboot.conf  as a template.

As far as sharing the /home and swap, I think it should be possible.
Obviously you need to make /home on its own partition and mountpoint
(as opposed to just a directory in a big / partition which is something
a lot of people like to do). I am thinking that maybe after you install
(or possibly during install) of Gentoo you will be able to edit its
/etc/fstab to make it use the shared /home and swap.

You may also want to consider adding a /shared partition that can be
used by all the OSes. I do this to share data between YDL and OS X and
if Gentoo understands HFS filesystems it could access it as well. Note
that currently only HFS is supported by YDL, not HFS+ (well, not
without some kernel mods anyway), and if you are using a Mac Disk
Utility to set up the partitions on the disk Mac OS Extended means HFS+
and Mac OS Standard means HFS.

-Ron