Quadruple boot YDL, Gentoo PPC, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9???

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 20 15:29:00 2003

Ron,
Many thanks for the info... It all seems straightforward enough but I'm
sure that there are a number of problems I haven't thought through which
will rear their respective ugly heads!!!

As for the 'share' partition idea... That's already in my partition
scheme. I, like you, will use HFS, so that it will be seen by ALL
partitions irrespective of what OS I boot into - including Mac OS 9.

Now, the reason for the inclusion of Mac OS 9 is mostly academic. I will
probably use OS X for things like TV/Video Out, QuickTime stuff and
possibly the odd Microsoft Office thing - I do use Open Office but years
of MS indoctrination do take their toll!!! ;)

I note that with some kernel mods, HFS+ read/write is well supported
albeit in beta... I'll probably do that anyway just so I can read the
Mac OS X drive...

I don't know what more I need to ask... I think i've covered all the
bases and all that remains now is to get the damn unit, and go nuts!

On a completely different note, do most people use the BenH kernel as
opposed to the stock YDL one? It would appear that the BenH kernel has a
great deal going for it and he seems to be very well respected in the
ppc linux community.

Most of the sites that I have gone through all recommend using his...
I'll probably do the same. Any problems with it?

Regards,

Andrew.