Install woes with 3.0 on G3 upgraded 6360...2.3 seems to work!

Scott Strungis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 21 22:42:01 2003

Hello listers,

Upstairs I have an older 6360 humming away installing YDL 2.3 without
any sort of effort.  I have to use bootX to get it to work but all
seems well.  I tried 3.0 first and I kept getting signal errors when
booting from YDL 3.0 installer's RAMDISK image.  I tried installing
2.3's older bootX installer as I had better luck last time I put Linux
on this particular machine and then dropped the new RAMDISK image into
the Linux Kernels folder and again a failure.  This time the installer
environment would not start up.  2.3 seems to be working nicely.  My
plan is to install on a larger 40 gig drive and use the 6360 as a
netatalk and SMB fileserver for the house.

Two questions:
Can I get the 3.0 install to work at all?

Can I use apt or yum to update up to 3.0 from a fresh 2.3 installation?
  If so, can someone forward me a copy of their sources.list file?

Yeah, I know...Three questions, but I could use the help.  It's been a
long time since I had to wrangle with bootX.

Thanks!
Scott Strungis