Installing YDL 3.0 without re-initializing disk

Tyler Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 22 11:54:01 2003

I received my copy of YDL 3 yesterday.  I would prefer, if possible, to install it on my G4 Cube without having to re-do my present setup.  My setup is as follows:

The first partition is Mac OS X

The second partition was Mac OS 9, but I deleted all of the files, so it is now a blank HFS partition.  I would like to use this partition for YDL, if possible.

The third partition is another copy of OS 9, which I use to run the Classic Environment.

After backing up my OS X partition to an external FireWire drive, as as test to see what would happen, I booted from the YDL install CD and started the installation process. While it showed the blank HSF drive, it would not partition it for Linux.

Apparently, the blank partition needs to be of the "unallocated" type, because when I tried partitioning manually with Disk Druid, it was willing to delete the blank HFS partition and create the required Apple Bootstrap, swap, and root partitions.

However, I was scared and did not go any farther with this -- I cancelled the installation before starting the actual partitioning process, because I was afraid it might erase my entire hard disk.

So, my question is, will this Disk Druid partitioning be successful, or should I not try it?

This is confusing because, in the YDL installation instructions, the recommended procedure is to partition with Apple's OS 9 Drive Utility -- which does not allow you to delete partitions without re-initializing your disk.  I would, if possible, like to avoid having to re-install my entire OS X system.