pismo Qs/short rant

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 22 17:55:01 2003

Actually I've had trouble playing DVDs and I've been meaning to post
about it.

I've installed mplayer, xine and ogle.

Mplayer works, but I haven't found a combination of video options that
gives good playback. It drops a lot of frames playing back from DVD,
though it works well for video files on the hard drive, including those
ripped from DVD using mencoder, which is part of the mplayer package.

Xine works well but I can't find any way to use the DVD menus or to do
chapter selection. So I can watch the DVD intro and then the menu
screen loops endlessly, though with a really good frame rate. This, I
suspect, is due to user error. I just need to read the manual again.

Ogle dies when I select 'open disc' from the file menu (I have the
ogle_gui installed). It doesn't appear to output any error messages if
it's run from a terminal and I can't find anything in any of the logs.

Greg