Problem with iptables after kernel recompile

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 23 12:42:01 2003

Over the last week or two I've been attempting to get a scsi CS-Rom working with
YDL 2.2.  I've finally given up and want to go back to what I had.  After
restoring the original kernel and System.map, I have problems loading iptables
on bootup.  Here's the relevent section of my boot log:

Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: modprobe:
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Can't locate module ip_tables
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: iptables v1.2.4: can't initialize iptables table
`filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be
upgraded.
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Flushing all current rules and user defined chains:
failed
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: iptables v1.2.4: can't initialize iptables table
`filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be
upgraded.
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Clearing all current rules and user defined chains:
failed
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Flushing all current rules and user defined chains:
succeeded
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Clearing all current rules and user defined chains:
succeeded
Jul 23 11:11:44 g3 iptables: Applying iptables firewall rules failed

I've gone into xconfig and attempted to make sure iptables in compiled in, but
I'm not certain of the setting.  Under "Networking options", I have "Network
packet filtering" set to yes, but this hasn't improved the situation.  It seems
confusing to me because the bootlog error messages clearly say it's trying to
load a module, but compiling packet filtering as a module isn't an option; it
can't be selected.

Any hints?

Thanks

Rob