YDL with a WD 120GB and B/W G3

Henry A. Leinhos yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 24 10:56:25 2003

Hi all,

I've got a rev1 B/W G3 desktop running at 300 MHz, and have been trying
to install YDL 3.0 on a Western Digital 120GB drive (WD1200JB Caviar
Special Ed), with mixed results. If I connect the drive (with an
80-conductor EIDE cable) to the apple IDE connector, MacOS (9.2) can see
the drive, but can't always initialize it, and I get read errors when
copying data to/from the drive.  If I try to run the YDL3.0 Installer, I
  get errors partitioning/formatting the drive.  Now, if I connect the
drive to an UltraATA-66 PCI card (which MacOS doesn't recognize), I can
install YDL3.0 with out problem (it sees the WD drive as hde).  For now,
I can boot using the install CD (ofpath returns an error for /dev/hde,
so I can't boot directly  via ybin/yaboot at the moment), and the drive
works flawlessly (as far as I can tell).

My question is, has anyone else had any experience with a WD120 or
better on similar hardware, and is there anyway to boot directly to this
drive using the PCI card (or do I install an Apple Bootstrap partition
somewhere on the MacOS drive)?